Avro Rota in Detail
The Cierva C.30A was an important step forward, as the rotor could be spun up by the motor, shortening the take-off run to some 30 m, and the rotor disc could be tilted by the pilot in order to manoeuvre the aircraft. A further improvement was the C.40, which could perform zero-length "jump starts".
The C.30A was license-built by, among others, Avro as the Avro 671 Rota (78 produced), by Lioré et Olivier as the LeO C.30 (64 produced), and by Focke-Wulf as the Fw C.30 (30 produced). The C.40 was produced by Avro as the Rota II and is included in the production figure above.
Many, both civilian and military, users operated C.30 autogiros (plenty of interesting and exotic markings for the modeller) and they were apparently considered as nice aircraft to fly. However, the death of de la Cierva in an accident in 1936 and Sikorsky's parallel development of efficient helicopters (partly dependent on inventions by de la Cierva) more or less killed off the autogyro, in spite of some attempts at comebacks (remember James Bond's Little Nellie?).
There are in fact quite a few preserved Cierva C-30/Avro Rotas. Of particular interest to us is the one at the Museum of Science and Technology in Stockholm, but there is also one at Fantasy of Flight in Polk City, Florida, USA, one at the Powerhouse Museum in Sydney, Australia, one at the Aviodrome in Lelystad, the Netherlands, one at the National Museum of Science and Technology in Milan, Italy, one (in bad shape) at the Helicopter Museum in Weston-Super-Mare, one at the Shuttleworth Collection in Old Warden, one at the Science Museum in London, one at the Imperial War Museum in Duxford, and one at the Royal Air Force Museum in Hendon.
This last one, Avro Rota serial number K4232, is the subject of our walk-around. It was one of twelve autogyros (of which one Sea Rota on floats) delivered to the School of Army Co-operation at Old Sarum in the mid 1930s, to be tested as observation and liaison aircraft. While the Avro Rota was not adopted for this purpose, during WWII they did important work with 1448 (Radar Calibration) Flight at Duxford, later reformed as 529 Squadron. After the war K4232 was sold to the Cierva Autogiro Co, who sold it on to Helikopterflyg AB in Sweden, who flew it with the registration number SE-AZB. The aircraft was purchased by RAFM in 1977 and restored to pre-war RAF markings.
Modelling the Cierva Autogyro
There are currently (2004) two kits of the Cierva C-30/Avro Rota/LeO C.30 in 1/72: a vacform from Aircraft in Miniature and an injection-moulded kit from Azur, reviewed here. There is also a kit in 1/48 by JMGT, which is reviewed here.